Tuesday, March 15, 2011

So this is a blog.

So this is a blog.  I have a distinct fear of technology of any kind, and of "putting myself out there" in any undue way, but I have have finally relented.  My writers' group friends and everyone else tells me I'm behind the times.  Especially as a writer.  You have no online presence! they scold.  So here I am, world.  I am present. 

I have called my blog "Sticky Soul" because of a favorite quote from a favorite author, Elizabeth Berg.  She said (and I quote!), "As a writer, you should have a sticky soul; the act of continually taking things in should be as much a part of you as your hair color."  I love it.  It's so true.  I have never thought of a better way to describe writer as innate observer.  I also liked it when she referred to a literary work in progress (namely, a novel) as a "jealous lover" always calling her back to it.  Amen, Elizabeth.  We writers all know exactly what you are talking about.  They won't leave you alone, those rascally pieces beckoning you back to PCs and notebooks, no matter what you're doing.  Now if I could just get about $5,000.00 together to attend Ms. Berg's Writers' Worshop/ Culinary Vacation in Positano, Italy this June.  My favorite author, one-on-one with seven attendees for a week, in a villa overlooking the amalfi coast, paired with cooking classes by Italian chefs.  One can dream, one can dream...

My blog will be about the compulsion to write.  I mean, if your soul is picking stuff up like a lint roller, all that stuff has got to end up somewhere.  And, again, we writers know that writing is, in fact, like clearing the lint screen of your dryer.  It builds up and builds up endlessly and has to be attended to, lest it clog up the whole works.  Where did all of these lint analogies come from?  I have no idea.  Maybe I should change the name of this blog to "the lint screen."  Nah.

O.K., O.K., so this is fun.  You were all right, alright?  I was wrong.  Blogging rules.  BLOGGING RULES!  Keep writing, my friends.  We're all writers, after all.  Just some of us actually record the voices in our heads.

Ciao for now...                      Heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment